Adam T. Smith
Professor of Anthropology
Ph.D., U Arizona 1996
Research Interests: Complex Societies, State Formation, and Politics; Archaeological Theory; Space and Landscape; Representation and Aesthetics; Bronze and Iron Ages of the South Caucasus, Southwest Asia and central Eurasia
Selected Books & Edited Volumes
- Regimes and Revolutions: Power, Violence, and Labor in Eurasia Between the Ancient and the Modern. Co-edited with Charles Hartley and B. Bike Yazicioglu. (in review with Cambridge University Press).
- The Archaeology and Geography of Ancient Transcaucasian Societies I: The Foundations of Research and Regional Survey in the Tsaghkahovit Plain, Armenia (with Ruben Badalyan & Pavel Avetisyan). Chicago: Oriental Institute Press (OIP) series.
- Social Orders and Social Landscapes: Proceedings of the 2005 University of Chicago Conference on Eurasian Archaeology. Co-edited with Laura Popova and Charles Hartley. Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Beyond the Steppe and the Sown: Proceedings of the 2002 University of Chicago Conference on Eurasian Archaeology. Co-edited with David Peterson and Laura Popova. Colloquia Pontica Series. Brill, Leiden.
- The Political Landscape: Constellations of Authority in Early Complex Polities. The University of California Press, Berkeley. 2003
- Archaeology in the Borderlands: Investigations in Caucasia and Beyond. Co-edited with Karen Rubinson. The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Publications at UCLA, Los Angeles.
Selected Articles & Book Chapters
- 'Yerevan, My Ancient Erebuni': Archaeological Repertoires, Public Assemblages, and the Manufacture of a (Post-) Soviet Nation. In Hartley, Yazicioglu & Smith, eds., Regimes and Revolutions: Power, Violence, and Labor in Eurasia Between the Ancient and the Modern.
- Village, Fortress, and Town in Bronze and Iron Age Southern Caucasia: A Preliminary Report on the 2003-2006 Investigations of Project ArAGATS on the Tsaghkahovit Plain, Republic of Armenia (with R. Badalyan, I. Lindsay, L. Khatchadourian, and P. Avetisyan).
- Archäologische Mitteilunger aus Iran und Turan. (Forthcoming) Pilot Gradiometry Survey a the Late Bronze Age Fortress Lower Town of Tsaghkahovit, Northwestern Armenia (with I. Lindsay and R. Badalyan). Archaeological Prospection.
- The Politics of Loss: Comments on a Powerful Death. In N. Laneri, ed., Performing Death: Social Analyses of Funerary Traditions in the Ancient Near East and Mediterranean. Oriental Institute Press, pp. 163-166.
- A History of Archaeological Practices in the Republic of Armenia (with Ian Lindsay). Journal of Field Archaeology 31(2):165-184. 2006 Prometheus Unbound: Southern Caucasia in Prehistory. Journal of World Prehistory 19(4): 229-279.
- Undisciplined Theory. Archaeological Dialogues 13(2): 158-163. 2006
- Representational Aesthetics and Political Subjectivity: The Spectacular in Urartian Images of Performance. In Spectacle, Performance, and Power in Premodern Complex Society edited by T. Inomata and L. Coben, pp. 103-134. Altamira Press, Walnut Creek, CA.
- Svyatilishche Pozdnego Bonzovogo Veka Gekharota (with R. Badalyan and P. Avetisyan). In Kul’tura Drevnej Armenii, XIII: Materialy Respublikanskoj Nauchnoj Sessii, pp. 109-115. Armenian Academy of Sciences, Yerevan.
- The End of the Essential Archaeological Subject. Archaeological Dialogues 11(1): 1-20.
- Early Complex Societies in Southern Caucasia: A Preliminary Report on the 2002 Archaeological Investigations by Project ArAGATS in the Tsakahovit Plain, Republic of Armenia (with Ruben Badalyan, Pavel Avetisyan, and Mkrtich Zardaryan). American Journal of Archaeology 108(1): 1-41.
- The Emergence of Socio-Political Complexity in Southern Caucasia (with Ruben Badalyan and Pavel Avetisyan). In Archaeology in the Borderlands: Investigations in Caucasia and Beyond, edited by Adam T. Smith and Karen S. Rubinson. The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Publications at UCLA, Los Angeles.
- The Limitations of Doxa: Agency and Subjectivity from an Archaeological Point of View. Journal of Social Archaeology. 1(2): 155-171.
- Preliminary Report on the 1998 Archaeological Investigations of Project ArAGATS in the Tsakahovit Plain, Armenia (with Ruben Badalyan and Pavel Avetisyan). Studi Micenei ed Anatolici 42(1): 19-59.
- Rendering the Political Aesthetic: Political Legitimacy in Urartian Representations of the Built Environment. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 19: 131-163.
- The Making of an Urartian Landscape in the Ararat Plain: A Study of State Architectonics. American Journal of Archaeology 103(1): 43-69.
- The Production of Space and the House of Xidi Sukur (with Nicholas David). Current Anthropology 36(3): 441-471.