Freedman Award Application Information
You are here
Call for Proposals
Freedman Award for Undergraduate Research in Anthropology
The Department of Anthropology is pleased to announce a new round of competition for the Freedman Award for Undergraduate Research in Anthropology. The award is designed to support anthropological research by undergraduate students. Research may be undertaken in support of a thesis, as part of a class project, in connection with the Anthropology Collections, or in collaboration with faculty.
Awards will be from $1000-3000 and are to be used for research in 2018.
Examples of research-related activities that may be funded include, but are not limited to:
- Research travel
- Acquisition of documents, reports, and books
- Photocopying expenses
- Purchase of research related software or other specialized equipment
- The award may also be used to offset the cost of an archaeological or ethnographic field school.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- Anthropology Majors or Minors, with preference for majors;
- Full time students at Cornell University at both the time of application and the proposed use of the funds;
- Sophomores or Juniors at the time of application;
- In good academic standing, with a GPA of 3.0 or better
Application directions are below.
The application packet must include:
· A 2-3 page (double-spaced) proposal that addresses the following:
- The purpose of the research project
- A discussion and justification of the methods you will use to collect the data or documentation for your project
- The project’s significance
- A budget, including a brief narrative description of how the research funds will be used
· A copy of the applicant's most recent transcript, along with a short statement about career objectives
· A letter of support from a faculty member familiar with the student and the project, who will agree to serve as an advisor during the course of the research
Deadline: November 10, 2017. Award recipients will be notified on or before December 1, 2017.
To be eligible for consideration, all supporting documents must be complete and submitted by the deadline to: Margaret Rolfe (email@example.com) Department of Anthropology *261 McGraw Hall* 255- 5137. For more information, contact Prof. Paul Nadasdy (firstname.lastname@example.org), the Director of Undergraduate Affairs.