Engaged Learning in Anthropology Scholarship Info
Call for proposals
The Department of Anthropology is pleased to announce the competition for our Engaged Learning in Anthropology Scholarships. These awards are designed to support students who seek training in anthropological techniques or want to participate in an anthropological engaged learning opportunity. Awards of up to $2500 will be awarded for engaged projects conducted in summer or fall of 2022. All proposals must comply with COVID-19 policies and guidelines, including student travel policies (see page 2 of the document). Funds will be disbursed only for expenses deemed eligible under current Cornell guidelines.
Eligible engaged learning opportunities include:
- Ethnographic or Archaeological field schools
- Engaged learning projects supervised by a Cornell faculty member
- Other engaged learning research or projects (please discuss in advance with the DUS)
Examples of activities that may be funded include, but are not limited to:
- The cost of an archaeological or ethnographic field school
- Travel expenses
- Living expenses
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- Cornell students, with preference for Anthropology majors and minors and Public Service Studies minors
- Full time students at Cornell University at both the time of application and the proposed use of the funds
- Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors at the time of application
- In good academic standing, with a GPA of 3.0 or better
Preference will be given to students spending three or more weeks on the engaged learning project.
The application packet must include:
· The application form, available online here.
· A 2-page (double-spaced) proposal that addresses the following:
- The nature and purpose of the engaged learning program
- The project’s relevance to your scholarly and career objectives
- How you prepared for the engaged learning project (which Anthropology and other relevant courses have you taken?)
- Any relevant language skills
- A copy of your most recent transcript
Deadline: April 17, 2022. To be eligible for consideration, the application packet must be complete and submitted by email to Megan Olivares (firstname.lastname@example.org). Contact Megan Olivares for logistical questions regarding the submission. For other information, contact Professor Sofia Villenas (email@example.com), the Director of Undergraduate Studies.